As the third most spoken language globally, the English Language has many interesting points.
- SWIMS is SWIMS even when upside down.
- Shortest sentences: I am. Go!
- 11% of the English language is the letter E.
- Original name for butterfly was flutterby.
- Longest word: Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
- Language of the air: all pilots must identify themselves and speak in English when flying.
- Girl used to mean small boy or girl.
- The word happy is used three times more than the word sad.
- Most common adjective: good.
- Most common noun: time.
- The word with the highest number of definitions is set with 9 separate meanings.
- Month, orange, silver and purple do not have any words which rhyme with it.
- 90% of English text contains just 1000 words.
- First English dictionary was written in 1604.
- Between 1500 and 1650 the number of English words available almost doubled.
- If you were to write out all numbers in words, you wouldn’t use ‘b’ until one billion.
- Now in the dictionary: Nerdjacking; hijacking a conversation with detailed explanations.
- Now in the dictionary: Undorse; reverse a policy.